Maggie Mason is one of my writing inspirations, not just because of her way with words, but because of the way she lives her life - with spirit, amazing creativity, friendship, love and joy - all the good stuff. She recently listed the 100 Things Worth Doing, or moments that she hopes flash before her eyes at the end of her life. I think it's a great idea. Here are mine, so far.
1. My mom's smile the day she and my father got married in the church and she was baptized and confirmed.
2. My grandmother standing at the stove, making pancakes.
3. Myrtle Beach, on the beach, 6 pm just before sunset, with my family the only ones left drinking beers in bathing suits.
4. Going to "look" at puppies and meeting Punkin, crawling up my leg because he was ready to go home.
5. Holding my baby sister on the couch, when I was ten years old.
6. Duran Duran at Constitution Hall, screaming like it was 1984.
7. Holding Michael in my arms at his Christening.
8. Picking pumpkins at Butler's Orchard.
9. Rocking Cancun with Molly and Angela - three different trips.
10. A Caps game at the old Capital Centre, sitting in the nosebleeds for 6 dollars.
11. Trying to feed Punkin without a bowl the first night, him standing in a dinner plate.
12. The first time a piece of paper turned into a photograph in the darkroom.
13. My first byline in graduate school.
14. Seeing the NYC skyline for the first time.
15. M stopping by the side of the road to show me the stars.
16. Skipping across the parking lot with Nikki and the boys after Monsters of Rock.
17. Hugging D for keeps in the shopping center parking lot, orange lights late at night.
18. Buying apples from the fruit truck man in Wildwood, pavement searing my feet.
19. Spending three hours in the spa tub in the Sedona bed and breakfast.
20. The ocean from my hotel room in Santa Cruz.
21. Movies after prom in Angie's basement.
22. Driving the truck home from Ohio with the dogs riding shotgun, no idea what would happen next.
23. Denny's in Dayton with Kim.
24. Getting a tattoo for my 25th birthday, for Saturn's return and endurance.
25. Meeting all the wonderful women I know online at BlogHer '07.